The England and Wales Cricket Board is strongly denying claims of a "shadow ban" preventing Pakistani players from being selected in The Hundred's upcoming draft. Reports suggest that four franchises with ties to Indian Premier League (IPL) ownership groups will not bid for Pakistani cricketers. The ECB maintains that its competition welcomes players from all nations.Over 50 Pakistani players have registered for the draft, scheduled for March 11 and 12 in London.[island+4]
Reports Spark Controversy Ahead of Draft
The controversy emerged from reports, notably by the BBC, which cited an unnamed "senior official" from the ECB. This official reportedly told a player agent that the four IPL-linked Hundred teams would avoid selecting Pakistani players in the draft.These four franchises are now either partly or fully owned by groups that also control IPL teams.This situation has raised concerns about an unwritten rule mirroring the long-standing absence of Pakistani players from the IPL itself.[island+11]
The ECB has pushed back against these allegations, stating it has not seen the alleged messages mentioned in the BBC report.An ECB spokesperson emphasized the league's commitment to global inclusion. "The Hundred welcomes men's and women's players from all over the world and we would expect the eight teams to reflect that," an ECB spokesperson said.This statement underlines the board's official stance on player selection.[island+4]
Richard Gould, the ECB's chief executive, addressed similar concerns last year when The Hundred's privatisation process began. He insisted that the involvement of Pakistani players would remain unaffected by new Indian investment.Gould also highlighted the ECB's "very clear anti-discrimination policies" within English cricket, stating that the cricket regulator would take action if these policies were not adhered to.[island+4]
Former Captain Calls for Prompt ECB Action
The reports prompted a swift reaction from former England captain Michael Vaughan. He urged the ECB to act quickly and decisively on the matter. "The ECB need to act fast on this," Vaughan wrote on social media platform X.He added that the sport, which prides itself on inclusivity, should not allow such a situation to happen.Vaughan's comments underscore the seriousness with which some in the cricket community view these allegations.[island+6]
The 'shadow ban' claims tap into historical tensions between India and Pakistan, which have seen a significant reduction in bilateral cricket series. Pakistani players have not participated in the Indian Premier League since the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks.This unofficial restriction has extended to other franchise leagues where IPL ownership groups are involved, such as South Africa's SA20 league, which has not featured any Pakistani cricketers.[island+6]
Over 50 Pakistani Players Registered for Auction
Despite the swirling reports, more than 50 Pakistani cricketers have registered for The Hundred's upcoming player draft.This list includes prominent international stars like Shaheen Shah Afridi, Shadab Khan, Haris Rauf, Saim Ayub, and Usman Tariq.These players are hoping to secure contracts in the popular 100-ball tournament. The men's draft and women's draft are scheduled to take place on March 11 and 12, respectively, in London.[island+13]
Notably, top Pakistani batsmen Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan are absent from the current longlist of nominated players for the 2026 draft.Their potential availability for the tournament, which runs from July 21 to August 16, would be limited by Pakistan's scheduled Test series against the West Indies in August.However, Pakistan's limited-overs teams do not have matches scheduled during The Hundred's window, making other players available.[island+9]
The salary caps for players in The Hundred have seen a significant increase for the 2026 season. The men's salary cap has risen to £2.05 million, while the women's cap is now £880,000. Each team will also be allowed to field four overseas players per match, an increase from three in previous seasons. This change could potentially open up more opportunities for international players, including those from Pakistan.[island+1]
In the 2025 Hundred draft, no Pakistani male players were selected, which previously fueled similar 'soft ban' concerns. This past event adds to the current scrutiny facing the ECB and The Hundred franchises. Only a handful of Pakistani players have featured in The Hundred's previous seasons.[apnlive+2]
The ECB faces pressure to ensure transparency and uphold its commitment to inclusivity as the draft approaches. The cricket world will be watching closely to see if Pakistani players are selected by the franchises, particularly those with IPL connections. The outcome will be a key indicator of The Hundred's adherence to its stated values of welcoming players from all over the world.[cricketaddictor+2]




