Chelsea manager Xabi Alonso held his pre-match press conference on Thursday, August 20, 2026, ahead of the club's Premier League opener against Fulham. Alonso discussed the ongoing speculation surrounding midfielder Enzo Fernandez, provided an update on Danny Welbeck's injury status, and looked ahead to his first competitive match as Chelsea's head coach. He did not, however, offer any recent comments regarding Brendan Rodgers' patience.[football+3]
Enzo Fernandez's Future Under Scrutiny
The future of Enzo Fernandez was a major topic, with Manchester City reportedly interested in the Chelsea midfielder. Alonso acknowledged the speculation but remained tight-lipped about Fernandez's long-term commitment to the club. The 25-year-old Argentine midfielder, who joined Chelsea in January 2023 for a then-British record fee of £106.8 million, had reportedly expressed a desire to leave earlier in the summer. Chelsea had reportedly set a £120 million valuation, with a deadline for bids that Manchester City missed.[football+4]
Fernandez returned to training recently after extended time off following Argentina's World Cup run. He faced a mixed reception from Chelsea supporters during a pre-season friendly against Real Sociedad, with some jeering and others cheering him. Alonso defended his player, stating it is "not unusual" for such situations to occur in football.[largsandmillportnews+7]
"Enzo is a Chelsea player. He's a top, top player," Alonso said. He emphasized that Fernandez has been "training really well" and is "very integrated" with the team since rejoining ten days ago. When pressed on whether Fernandez had communicated a desire to stay, Alonso remained evasive. "He's training really well and I see him with a really good attitude and that's what we want. Everyone is trying their best to prepare for the kick-off of the Premier League," the Chelsea boss stated. Alonso declined to guarantee Fernandez would remain at Stamford Bridge beyond the September 1 transfer deadline.[football+24]
Welbeck's Fitness Ahead of Opener[football+7]
Alonso also provided an update on veteran forward Danny Welbeck, who recently joined Chelsea from Brighton & Hove Albion. Welbeck, 35, has had limited appearances during pre-season due to a recent injury issue and the finalization of his transfer. He missed the final pre-season friendly against Real Sociedad.[sportsmole+1]
Despite a "little thing" that kept him from full training for a couple of days, Alonso expressed optimism about Welbeck's availability for the Fulham match. "He can be involved. He just needs a couple of days not training that much because of a little thing," Alonso told reporters. The plan is for Welbeck to return to full training by Saturday, with the manager taking his recovery day by day. Dutch legend Ruud Gullit highlighted Welbeck's experience, along with Jordan Henderson, as crucial for Chelsea's 2026/27 season, noting their collective near-1,000 Premier/England games.[sportsmole+3]
Fulham Challenge and Season Ambition[irishmirror]
Chelsea's Premier League campaign begins with a short trip across west London to face Fulham at Craven Cottage on Monday evening. This match marks Alonso's debut as a Premier League manager. He will face his former teammate and friend, Alvaro Arbeloa, who is now the manager of Fulham. Alonso acknowledged their personal relationship but stressed that on the pitch, "no friends, no past, just the 90 minutes we are fighting for each club."[football+4]
Alonso expressed his team's readiness and ambition for the new season. "We feel ready. We've prepared the whole pre-season these six weeks," he stated. He emphasized the hunger to start the Premier League strongly. The former Real Madrid manager understands the challenges of the Premier League, noting that "each game is going to be challenging." Alonso believes the team will improve as the season progresses, describing it as a "process."[youtube+6]
The Chelsea boss is focusing solely on the upcoming Fulham game. "For sure now the only focus at the moment is Fulham," he said. Chelsea will not be playing in European competition this season, which Alonso sees as a potential advantage, offering more time for game preparation.[football+3]
No Recent Comments on Rodgers[football+1]
While Xabi Alonso has previously commented on Brendan Rodgers' managerial career, notably in 2013 and 2015, there were no recent statements from the Chelsea manager regarding "Rogers patience" found in the press conference on August 20, 2026. His current focus remains entirely on his new role at Chelsea and the immediate challenges of the Premier League season.[en+4]





