Federal authorities arrested an 18-year-old North Carolina man for allegedly planning an ISIS-inspired mass-casualty attack on New Year's Eve. Christian Sturdivant of Mint Hill faces charges of attempting to provide material support to a foreign terrorist organization after the FBI foiled his plot to target a grocery store and a fast-food restaurant. The Justice Department announced the arrest, stating that officials prevented an imminent and horrific attack.[indiatoday+2]
Details of the Foiled Plot Emerge
Christian Sturdivant, 18, allegedly planned to use knives and hammers in a New Year's Eve assault.Authorities said he intended to stab up to 20 or 21 people and then attack responding police officers, aiming to die as a "martyr."Court documents show Sturdivant had been planning the attack for about a year.His handwritten notes, titled "New Years Attack 2026," detailed his violent intentions.These notes also outlined a desire to target Jews, Christians, and LGBTQ+ individuals.[cbsnews+10]
FBI agents executed a search warrant at Sturdivant's home on December 29, finding knives, hammers, tactical gloves, and a vest hidden under his bed.U.S. Attorney for the Western District of North Carolina Russ Ferguson stated that Sturdivant was "preparing for jihad" and that innocent lives were likely to be lost if the plot had not been disrupted.Assistant Attorney General John A. Eisenberg praised law enforcement for neutralizing the threat before it could be carried out.[cbsnews+5]
Undercover Operation Leads to Arrest
The FBI's investigation involved undercover agents who posed as ISIS supporters.Sturdivant communicated online with these agents in December, sharing images of weapons and discussing specific targets.He allegedly sent a loyalty oath to ISIS on December 19.FBI Special Agent in Charge James Barnacle Jr. of the Charlotte field office said Sturdivant was monitoring multiple grocery stores in Mint Hill to find the most crowded location for New Year's Eve.[indiatoday+6]
Authorities placed Sturdivant under constant surveillance for several days, including during Christmas, due to concerns he might attempt violence before New Year's Eve.Agents were ready to arrest him earlier if he left his home with weapons.The arrest took place on December 31, 2025, as Sturdivant was released from a local medical facility.Attorney General Pamela Bondi emphasized that the successful collaboration between federal and local law enforcement saved American lives from a horrific terrorist attack.[ctvnews+4]
Suspect's History and Charges
Christian Sturdivant was formally charged with attempting to provide material support to a foreign terrorist organization.He made his initial appearance in federal court in Charlotte on Friday, January 2, 2026, where the criminal complaint was unsealed.If convicted, Sturdivant faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in federal prison.He is currently held in federal custody without bail.[people+10]
Investigators revealed that Sturdivant had been on the FBI's radar since January 2022, when he was 14 years old.At that time, he reportedly communicated with an overseas ISIS contact who instructed him to attack people with a hammer.According to an FBI affidavit, Sturdivant dressed in black and left his home with a hammer and knife, intending to kill a neighbor, but his grandfather restrained him.He then received psychological treatment and was kept off social media, leading the FBI to close the initial investigation.However, he later began posting pro-ISIS videos on TikTok in December.FBI Director Kash Patel stated that the case highlights the importance of rapid intelligence sharing and that those who support terrorist organizations cannot evade law enforcement.[theguardian+10]




